Chinatown is a genuine place with many mini-shops, hotels and cool markets to explore. This area is quite the surprise after visiting Yaletown's boutique shops and seeing large glass buildings throughout the city.
This area explains why Hong Kong immigrants continue to be attracted to the city of Vancouver. Please be careful on the edge of this neighborhood as there are some darker areas to steer clear from such as East Hastings and alley ways. Experience a busy open night market between Keefer and Pender Street in the summer and on weekends. Try out some of the best Asian food in this historic area.
Chinatown will host 3 community events in 2008. There are various parades, events, music festivals and dance performances.
- Chinese New Year Parade
- When: Sunday, January - February , 2008
- About: On the first Sunday of the New Year you can enjoy Chinese New Year and celebrate the Year of the Rooster and the coming arrival of Spring. In Chinatown you will find lucky red gift packets, lions, crafts, story tellers and the biggest parade in town. Take the family and enjoy the festivities from 10am- 4:30pm. It is open to everyone and donations are accepted.
- Website information: Chinese New Year Vancouver
- Asian Heritage Month
- When: May, 2008
- About: Enjoy a variety of exhibitions, performances and entertainment that happens in Chinatown while celebrating Asian Heritage Month.
- Website: www.explorasian.org
- Alcan Dragon Boat Festival
- When: June 21-22, 2008
- About: Enjoy an international paddling event along False Creek and visit the Alcan Dragon Boat festival in June. People come from all over the globe to attend this event. Cheer on the paddlers!