1. Travel

Canada Customs – Canada Customs, Border Crossing and Passport Information


canadian customs information border canadian border immigrations customs

Canadian Customs

Photo (c) Office Odyssey

An Introduction to Canadian Customs

It is not as scary as you think to cross the Canadian border and the whole process is quite easy if you abide by Canadian regulations. It is a good idea to know what you are in for before you go. You do not have to worry if you are not carrying any illegal drugs, or trying to smuggle products, cigarettes, and alcohol that exceeds the limit of the Canadian customs regulations.

Questions you might be asked at the Canadian Border

  • Where are you going?
  • What is your occupation?
  • Are you traveling alone or in a group?
  • What is the purpose of your travel?
  • Are you bringing any alcohol or cigarettes into Canada?
  • How long will you be staying in Vancouver?
  • What is your occupation?

Customs Contact Information

Call within Canada:
For hearing impaired: 1-866-335-3237
French: 1-800-959-2036

Calls outside Canada:

French Services:

Email: Canadian Border Services Association

Please note that email inquiries can take up to 40 days until you get a response.

Call 1-888-242-2100 for Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.

Visit the Canadian Customs and Visitor Information Center for more information. You will need ONE of the following documents for travel to Vancouver and go through Canadian Customs:

  • Birth Certificate and a drivers license, or other photo ID.
  • Valid Greencard for US Residents
  • Voters Registration Card
  • Passport

Passport Information for Canadian Customs: Updated Jan 2010

Canadian's are now required to take a valid passport when travelling to the United States. Americans traveling to Canada need to take picture ID, birth certificate, and a driver’s license with them. You can find the latest customs and travel information at the Canadian Border Services. Find passport forms and printable copies.

Please Note: An ID and birth certificate will allow most Americans to travel into Canada, but those documents alone are not good enough to get them back into the United States. American's should take all of their ID with them including passport to guarantee re-entry back into the United States. This will prevent hassles during before, during and after the Olympic 2010 Games.


You cannot go through Canadian customs with only a driver’s license. Parents should carry the passports for their children, and bring a letter if traveling with one parent, stating that the other parent allows the child to travel to Canada. Parents that are traveling with their children should bring a birth certificate for each child.

Make sure you check out the travelers to Canada section for full information.

If you are from the United States and you do not have a passport, apply for a US passport here.

If you want to apply for a Canadian Passport then contact this office in downtown Vancouver, or Canada's main passport website.

Vancouver Passport Office
Sinclair Centre
757 West Hastings
Local: 604-586-2500
Toll free: 1-800-567-6868
Website: Passport Canada

  1. About.com
  2. Travel
  3. Vancouver Travel
  4. Planning Your Trip
  5. Canadian Customs
  6. Canada Customs, Border Crossing & Passport Information

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.